Thursday, July 17, 2008

Euthyphro's Dilemma

My friend Andy (not my brother Andy) wrote in his blog about Euthyphro's dilemma ("Is what is moral commanded by God because it is moral, or is it moral because it is commanded by God?"). I think it is an interesting question, but I also think that, at least in his explanation of it, it is a bit oversimplified. I encourage you to go take a look at the post and at the comments and add your own input, either in my blog or in his. It's not in my nature to take anything at face value or to believe that there could be a question such as that with only two possible answers... so let's explore the gray area together!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has always seemed to me that there can be justice and morality with or without God. I know many upstanding citizens who are outspokenly atheists. It is faith in God, however, that gives many of us the power and the clarity of vision to act morally in our lives. So, while I lean toward answer #1, I think that God is more than just a messenger, but more of a guide and arbiter. If everything that God does/says is moral, how does one explain David & Bathsheba, the plagues on Egypt, or the bloody battle of Jericho? I'd say God knows what is moral and leads us to it, but that no one can be purely moral.

Remember the last line in Some Like It Hot? "Nobody's perfect!"

Bimmler said...

Sounds like a St. John's question...