Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's man devouring man, my dear, and who are we to deny it in here?

Well, while I am spending weeks and weeks trying to upload photos to my posts from Italy, I thought I would give you a little news about the days since I've returned to Paris to keep you occupied in the meantime.

Pretty positive for the most part. Taking a break from Paris definitely helped. I immediately went back to teaching classes. I watched some TV shows with one class, and took another to Starbucks and made them read my Dad's book. The next day I watched Fight Club with them. Not too strenuous.

I started second semester classes at Reid Hall today. First class today was Atelier d'écriture, which means "writing workshop." It was fun, I was my usual enthusiastic grammar nerd self and probably annoyed people by throwing my hand up in the air at every question. But I can't help it - I get excited about grammar! I'm not ashamed.

After that, I got my grades back from 1st semester:

Grammaire et histoire de la langue: A
Suédois: A-
Grammaire (Reid Hall): A
Translation: A

No complaints here. Now I just have to figure out what Sorbonne classes to take next semester.

I had the French Cinema and Society class this evening. It's not really my thing but it's a French credit and it's another Reid Hall class, so I know it will be relatively well-organized. I'm going to try to take a couple of Linguistics classes at the Sorbonne, but they don't start until Feb 11, so I have a few days to figure it out. Of course, they haven't posted any classes yet.

I've been listening to Sweeney Todd nonstop the past few days. My favorites are: Victor Garber singing "Johanna" on the Original Broadway Cast recording, Neil Patrick Harris (yes, Doogie Howser) singing "Nothing's Gonna Harm You" from "Sweeney Todd in Concert," and Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter singing "A Little Priest" from the new Tim Burton movie. Go see the movie if you haven't yet!

"A Little Priest" - Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter


"Not While I'm Around" - Neil Patrick Harris and Patti Lupone


I can't find a single video or photo of Victor Garber as Anthony Hope :-(

1 comment:

SantaFeKate said...

Congrats on those great grades!!!!