Saturday, April 19, 2008

That's what Amy Winehouse said

Wednesday night was the Luau party - the culmination of many hours of crazy endured by Julia, Erin and myself. In the end, we pulled it off somehow.

I arrived at six to find Julia making a massive batch of coleslaw. There were a few other tutors there who had signed up to help setup, so I took them down to the unheated basement and we started putting up our "luau" decorations, which means we cut up a couple grass skirts and taped them to a table.









Soon one of the student organizations came down to set up the bar, and someone from Activ came down and told me that Vincent was looking for me. I went up to the courtyard and this half-French half-Californian dude told me that he needed me to cut up all of the onions, wash the tomatoes and lettuce, and cut the tomatoes. I do so love delegating. I got Ashley and Romina and Mariana to do the washing. I cut the onions and Erin cut the tomatoes. I spent a good portion of the beginning of the party delegating tasks while slicing onions. It was pretty funny.

By the time I was done slicing enough onions for a small army, I was freezing. I walked over to the barbecue to get warm and I asked them if I could do anything to help. They handed me the flippy thing and left me to my own devices. So I barbecued hot dogs and hamburgers for 200 people for the rest of the night. It was really fun, but I think I burned all of my fingers and my hair still smells like hamburgers.

"But I don't even know how to use a George Foreman!"


"I am the king of the grill."


Me and all the barbecue dudes


Left to right: Guy with weird glass ball, Julia, Erin, Frenchifornia (Vincent), our boss Emery.


This is funny cause Vincent is actually taller than Emery.


We pulled it together




"BFFs from life," as Erin says.


All in all we had a good time and the party went off without a hitch. After cleaning up a lot of the food area, I finally went home around 11, having decided that at this point I could let someone else do some of the work. Julia ended up getting stranded on this side of Paris and sleeping on my floor.

This weekend is gonna be pretty low-key for me, seeing as I feel like my throat has been hit by a truck. Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks as if your party skills are highly developed! I love that your T-shirt resembles a Colonial vest! I know that's not what is intended, but still. Rest up and relish in your triumph.