Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"I'm reading a really good book."

As a linguist whose favorite class was Semantics, I can't help but be intrigued by the language used by blind students. It is surprising to outsiders (myself included) how often Perkins students use phrases like, "I'll see you later," or, "Come here, look at this!" Some of them make a joke of it, like the student who came into my office yesterday, laying on the charm. He said he wanted to travel the world "and, you'll get a kick out of this Bobbie - I want to see everything I can see. Pretty funny coming from a blind guy, huh?" But I think most of them don't even think of it. They're not associating the words they use with their original meaning, but rather with the corresponding actions in a blind world. The best example so far is the student who just came into my office to be rescheduled. I sent him to the library, and asked him to think about what he might like to do for the later period in which he will also have to be rescheduled. He said, "Oh, I don't mind going back to the library. I'm reading a really good book," despite the fact that no actual reading or books will be involved in that scenario - he'll be listening to a recording.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting! I'm glad people are still reading books these days, in any form (I may be biased since I also write books). I ran across your blog by accident while doing research for a new science-fiction novel with a scene set at Newcomb Hall, since the language center is there. It would be helpful to know if there's a French Club or similar organization for language students that might have a group activity (here or abroad) that would result in a photo which could become a clue for my characters to follow. Any contacts there? My website is www.garyalanruse.com.
Best wishes--
Gary
P.S.--the kitten is adorable. I have a rescue cat of my own (no--it's the other way around...).

frenchvelvet said...

Hi Gary,

Sorry, it's been almost a year since you commented! I don't write much in my blog anymore and most of the comments I receive are spam, so I rarely check them anymore. Do you still need some assistance?