Friday, July 2, 2010

You know what? I like you.

So I started slacking again. Big surprise. Well, I got my Masters degree in Linguistics from Tulane and moved back to Boston to my parents' house (for the moment). I finally got a job, and it's all I could ever want! At least for now. I am the Administrative Assistant in the Secondary Program at the Perkins School for the Blind. I'd love to blog in detail about it but there's a lot of stuff that's confidential and I'd rather err on the side of caution than betray someone's trust and lose my job.

But there are some things I can say. I love the job, I love my office, I love the kids. Today is my first day alone, meaning that the woman training me is out today, but ALSO the woman in the downstairs office is out for three weeks, so on my first week I am doing the jobs of two different people, neither of which I have fully grasped yet.

The best thing is the kids. They're hilarious, for one thing. They're just always joking around. Yesterday I heard three of them on their way to class just singing, "Bieber, Bieber, Bieber, ooooh, Bieber, Bieber, Bieber..." Today a girl named Hailey came into the office. I had met her once before, but I don't think she remembered. She asked who it was, and I said it was Bobbie and I am replacing Debby. She asked why Debby was leaving, and I told her. And then she said, "You know what? I like you." Every day something like that happens, something to just melt your heart and make you want to do every single thing to make sure that these sweet, beautiful, funny children get to grow up to be whatever they want, despite the crappy hand they've been dealt. I've never met a more positive group of people, or anyone whose personalities shine through the way these kids' do. It's only my 5th day, maybe the way I feel will change, but right now I am so happy to be here. I can't imagine any place I'd rather be.

1 comment:

Erin said...

melts my heart!