Saturday, September 1, 2007

Saturday

This morning we got up at 7 AM. Vaune and I showered and went to breakfast in the CISP Kellermann cafeteria, which was much better than dinner. Even cafeteria croissants in France are delicious.

We left at 9:30 for our 10:30 orientation at Reid Hall, and thus began our first adventure on the Metro. The Metro is pretty straightforward and I am pretty familiar with it (though it has been three years since I used it) and so those of us who understood it sort of herded those who didn't in the correct direction.


Left to right: Laura, Brittany, Emily, Amanda, Tessa, Vaune, me, Jennifer, Jessie. Brennan is taking the picture.

So we got to our orientation meeting at Reid Hall, which was somewhat confusing and made us all very nervous about classes and transportation and bureaucracy. Our advisor here is very very nice but somewhat muddled. However, I am quick to appreciate her because she is the one who deals with most of the red tape, and I am endlessly grateful for that.

We eventually got out of there and went to lunch (on Tulane's dollar) at an Italian place. I had 4-cheese pizza that had like gorgonzola, goat cheese, and Camembert along with mozzarella. It was unbelievably delicious.






Vaune, me, and Jen at La Mamma

After lunch we somehow stumbled into the famously beautifully Jardin de Luxembourg and wandered around and saw statues and French people and L'Orangerie, which should make my mother suitably jealous.


Walking in le Jardin de Luxembourg


Brennan, myself, and Vaune hugging Baudelaire in the le Jardin de Luxembourg


Le Palais de Luxembourg


displaced palm tree


Me, Vaune, Jessie and Emily


Vaune doing a handstand in front of le Palais de Luxembourg as part of her "Handstands in Culture" quest


Posing with tree sculptures


Jessie and Vaune making orgasm (birthing?) faces in front of the giant vagina that was part of the Femme, y es-tu? installation in the Jardin


The sign for l'Orangerie

After the Jardin de Luxembourg, we took the Metro back to Place d'Italie. Vaune and I were going to Monoprix to get ID photos taken, and everyone else sort of followed us there. I found face wash and an Odwalla-like drink, and we wrangled change out of the cashier. Everyone's photos either look like mug shots or head shots. While Vaune was in the "photomaton" I checked out the machine where you can buy train tickets, and determined that a round trip ticket from Angers to Rennes for the weekend of my birthday is only 55 Euros. Birthday trip to see Carolyn, mayhap?

After Monoprix we came back to CISP Kellermann, where I determined that there was wireless downstairs, and here I am. Though I must go, because my battery is dead. I will add more pictures for this post tomorrow, or later this evening.

No comments: