Friday, October 26, 2007

Angers, again.

Back in Angers for the weekend - to see folks, to go to Kat's pumpkin carving party, and, apparently, to do laundry.

Vaune and I left at 7 this morning for the train station after a breakfast of Fluffernutter (me) and brioche and jam (her). At 7:45, as we sat waiting for our 9:00 train, I realized that we didn't have our cartes 12-25, which we were going to have to show when the conductor came to check our tickets, in order to prove that we were, in fact, allowed to have a %50 discount on our tickets. We had an hour before we would even know which track our was going to be on, so I volunteered to go home and get them. I ran the ten minutes through Montparnasse train station to get to where the line 4 Métro stops, took the fifteen minute trip home, ran upstairs, and got our passes. Then I backtracked. All in a t-shirt and jeans in 35 degree weather. Some guy in the Métro actually said to me, "J'ai froid pour vous," meaning, "I am cold for you." Since I absolutely cannot get past the French habit of talking to complete strangers (especially in the subway) I ignored him, assuming that it was some kind of weird pickup line. It wasn't - he was just concerned. But I was sweaty and could barely breathe (chest cold developing - again. Yay) and unhappy so I just gruffly told him that I was in a hurry and I was fine. He kept talking but I disappeared onto the #4 train.

I got back just in time, and we got on the train. Thankfully the conductor did, in fact, ask us for our discount passes. If he hadn't, if that trip had been in vain, I would have been deeply unhappy. Now we are in Angers, and it is damn cold. This is where we are staying:



It is Kat's (the bartender/bar owner who is having the pumpkin carving party) boyfriend's former apartment. It has no furniture (read: mattresses), heat, or electricity. It does have water, walls, a roof, and a floor, so I'm good (Sorry Mom - I know you hate that phrase). Which is what matters, as I will probably be sleeping there alone while Casanova whisks Vaune away to Loveland. Fine with me - I'll run around naked and sing ancient chants while smearing the walls with bodily fluids. Vaune, you're missing out.

I ended up bringing all of my laundry to Angers, because it was all in my suitcase because it needed to be done, and it seemed more convenient to just bring the suitcase of dirty clothes and wash them at the nicer, easier to use laundromat here than wash them at the crappy, tiny, stressful one near the Cité, take them out, and repack the suitcase. So I did all of my laundry today (how satisfying!), and now I am at La Catho charging my computer and downloading episodes of House to keep myself company later (I left my book in my room when I ran home to get the discount passes). Later, I will probably enjoy a doner kebap and pass the evening at the Falstaff, drinking and being merry.

No comments: