Monday, October 22, 2007

I'll get inside your face

I live in a pigsty.

Yesterday morning, Vaune came over and helped me clean up my room. I feel much better now. Mom, you can thank her later.

My incentive for cleaning my room was that afterwards, we were going to go to “Thanksgiving,” a Cajun restaurant/American grocery store that I had accidentally found online. It’s in Le Marais, which is a very interesting and beautiful area of Paris, so I knew that even if the store were lame, the trip would be worth it.

We set out, I with my new Carte Imagine R in hand (my new Métro pass that I just slide over the little reader and it magically lets me through, lighting up green arrows pointing the way) and took the Métro straight to St. Paul St. We found the store very quickly, and gleefully went inside.

Vaune was unimpressed, but I merrily catalogued every item in my brain for later use. I pored over each shelf, making sure not to miss anything that I would want later. I ended up buying several necessities that are not widely available in France: Kraft Mac n Cheese dinner, Bush’s baked bean, and B&M barbecue baked beans. And a root beer for Vaune.



After that, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and beautiful neighborhood and wandered around the Marais.



Bob Design!


We walked down to the Seine. I found a piece of a Camembert wrapper on the ground.



For a while, we just sat there and listened to our music. You have to choose just the right song to listen to while sitting by the Seine. I chose Ashes in Your Eyes by Deb Talan.









After a while, we decided to walk down the Seine, iPods in hand. It was a lovely walk.



Perhaps the highlight of the walk was the tent. People were camping out on the Seine. I have no idea if this was allowed, but it was funny. They had jokes about Belgians written on their tent, and they had a kitty. And they were sleeping outside in their sleeping bags as we took pictures of them. At 1 in the afternoon.





Kitty!


After that we went home, and I made my Kraft dinner. It was the best Kraft mac and cheese I have ever had. Then I lazed around and read Philip Pullman novels until dinner. Dinner was a little chaotic, but delicious as usual, grâce à Emily. I am, in fact, at the moment steaming 10 cups of cubed eggplant for veggie burgers tonight. In a wok. With no cover. Cooking for ten is always interesting.

After dinner Vaune and I watched Blades of Glory. Always hilarious. My favorite line: "I was on Qualuudes. I don't even remember Oslo. But I remember Boston. And that victory was as sweet as the cream pie for which the town was named."

All in all it was a good day. Today, on the other hand, has been crazy stressful as I navigate malls and eggplant and immunization forms. Whew!

Ann Coulter is speaking at Tulane tonight. Someone MUST tell me how that goes.

"Ann Coulter will be at Tulane today, October 22! Come see what all the controversy is about. Ms. Coulter will speak on "Why Liberals Are Wrong About Everything." She will be at McAlister Auditorium and will speak at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and bags will be checked.

Please, no video or audio recorders. Food, drink and weaponry are also prohibited in the auditorium."

Seriously? Cause I was going to bring my bow and arrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!