Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sans domicile fixe means "homeless" in French, but it translates literally to "Without fixed domicile"

What a joyous weekend. Hmph.

Friday night I was supposed to meet Chris at eight for dinner, so I went back to the apartment to take a shower. Of course, there was no hot water and no electricity, so I took a shower in ice water in the dark. Needless to say, there was water all over the floor of the bathroom because there was also no shower curtain. I am hoping it will evaporate by tomorrow.

I met Chris for dinner and we went to the Falstaff. I had a backpack full of stuff (pajamas, clothes, etc) because Scott had said I could stay in his dorm room if I didn’t want to sleep on the floor of a freezing cold apartment, which I didn’t. It was an interesting night - Chris and Katie got into a fight about things that Chris said to other people about Katie’s boyfriend, and I got trapped, unable to leave the table while they had said fight. Eventually they went for a walk and I was released.

I was sitting around with some friends. I had asked Scott to make sure not to leave without me. I was going to walk Vaune back to the apartment so she could get her stuff to go stay at Luis’s, and then when I came back Scott and I would leave. I came back and didn’t see him, so I sat down. Deborah went to get a drink and I asked her, if she saw Scott, to tell him we would be leaving in about half an hour. She came back and told me Scott was making out with some girl. Twenty minutes later I checked and he still was. Then he went outside, giving me the “one minute” sign with his hand. Ten minutes later I went outside and he was still making out with/talking to this girl. I was pretty mad, because he was leaving me in the lurch here, but he was drunk and I just didn’t want to deal with him so I went home with Kris and stayed in her room for the night. She lives with a host family, though, so I couldn’t take a shower there. So Saturday morning I walked back to the apartment and took another freezing shower.

Chris and I met up at 1:30 and went to lunch with his friend Siobhan (pronounced like “Chevonne”) and her friend Willa (who I found out later was actually the girl making out with Scott). We had pizza, and it was really lovely. Then Chris and I wandered around trying to find a sweater, a long sleeve shirt, a hat, mittens and a scarf, and shoes for me. We only succeeded in finding a sweater and a shirt, but at least we got those. Then Chris took my laptop home to charge it and I went back to the apartment and put on two pairs of pajama pants, jeans, a tank top, a shirt, a sweatshirt, my winter coat and my hat and took a nap.

At 7 I met Chris, Vaune, Christine and Katie at the Chinese restaurant and we had dinner. We were walking to the Falstaff and I stopped to call Alexis and told them I would meet them there. When I showed up a few minutes later, none of them were to be found, and they didn’t show up for another hour. A wonderful way to start the evening. I decided not to drink that night, so I just had water and cranberry juice as everyone around me got slowly drunker. Scott promised me (again) that I could stay in his dorm room. I would’ve said no out of spite if it weren’t for the prospect of a hot shower. We saw Justin and Emerson and generally had a good time, except for some people being jerks, but that is another story and also not mine. I was tired and coughing and wanted to go to bed, but of course I had to wait for Scott unless I wanted to freeze. He went to walk Katie home, which should have taken twenty minutes, so when it had been 45 minutes I started to get angry. If he ditched me again, he was not getting off so easy. But he got back, having gotten lost. He said he wanted to sit for two minutes before he left, which made me wary, and it should have - he was immediately appropriated by some drunken girls. Ten minutes later we finally left. We went back to the apartment to get some of my stuff and then walked to his dorm. Scott did definitely redeem himself by sleeping on the floor of his own room and giving me the bed, and making me toast this morning. And I finally got to take a hot shower this morning, with lights! What a novel idea.

Tonight is the Halloween party at the Falstaff (i.e. the whole reason we came back). There will be pumpkin carving and Rocky Horror and The Exorcist and candy. Yay! Tonight I may also actually sleep in The Apartment of Ice.

I don’t have my camera cord with me right now - I will post pictures from the weekend later.

No comments: